If the water or ice dispensed from your refrigerator tastes and smells bad or odd, it is likely that you need to replace the water filter of your refrigerator. If you suspect that there are some other issues with your refrigerator, you can search “refrigerator repair near me” online to hire a refrigerator repair technician.
Where to purchase refrigerator water filters?
Refrigerator water filters are available both offline and online in big brand stores and on the official websites of the manufacturer. However, you can also purchase refrigerator water filters online from a variety of eCommerce stores such as Amazon, Home Depot, and BestBuy, and from online stores that specialize in selling water and air filtration systems and products such as Discountfilterstore.com and filterfast.com.
Why is it important to replace refrigerator water filters?
The water filter in your refrigerator is what allows you to enjoy a clean source of water that is free of contaminants, dirt, and harmful microorganisms. In fact, refrigerator water filters are highly efficient and can remove up to 66 different types of contaminants including industrial chemicals, lead, mercury, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, waterborne parasites, and more.
However, over time, the water filtration system starts to accumulate these contaminants and impurities and develops a blockage. This can cause it to become a breeding ground for harmful bacteria and result in a drop in water quality including the development of unpleasant taste and nasty odor. Replacing the water filter ensures that you and your family always enjoy a clean and safe source of drinking water.
When should you replace the refrigerator water filter?
Technically, it is recommended that you change the refrigerator water filter every six to nine months depending on the quality of the water and use. For instance, large families need to change refrigerator water filters more often. It also becomes necessary to change it if the water quality is bad. We suggest you refer to the guidelines listed in the user manual to learn more about the recommended time period to replace the water filter of your refrigerator.
Aside from that, you can also watch out for a few signs listed below to note when you need to change the water filter in your refrigerator:
- Check the water filter status indicator light – Most refrigerators with a water dispenser come equipped with a digital control panel that also has a water filter status indicator. It is the easiest way to know when to replace the water filtration unit since all you have to do is check whether the water filter light turns on or not.
- Check the taste and smell of the water and ice – Another easy way to know whether the water filtration system in your refrigerator is working properly is to notice the smell and taste of dispensed water and ice. Clean water and ice should have no smell and taste natural. However, if they taste funny or exude a foul odor it means they are contaminated, and you need to change the water filter unit.
- Monitor the flow of dispensed water and ice – A clogged water filter naturally reduces the water pressure in the system and causes the dispensed water to trickle slowly. The same is true when you notice small ice coming out of the dispenser. It is a clear sign that the refrigerator water filter is clogged, and you need to replace the unit.
- Notice the appearance of water and ice – The dispensed water and ice should always be clean without any black specks, cloudiness, or murkiness. Do not drink dispensed water or consume dispensed ice if it is not clear before replacing the water filter unit.
How to replace your refrigerator water filter?
To replace your refrigerator water filter, you first have to find it. Generally, unless you have an older refrigerator model, the water filter should be located at the back, upper-right corner inside it, or in the grille at the bottom. The water filter should be three to four inches wide and look similar to a round tube. Alternatively, they might be located in the water supply line in the back of the refrigerator on the outside if you have an older model.
Different refrigerator brands and models often have different types of water filters and thus, there is no one way to replace refrigerator water filters. It is recommended that you refer to the product guide or the user manual that came with your refrigerator to learn the specific instructions for replacing the refrigerator water filter.
Generally, there are three types of water filters and thus, three methods you can use to remove and replace the water filters in your refrigerator:
- Replacing twist-in filters – To replace twist-in filters, you have to take the old cartridge out by twisting it, remove the cap and put it on the new filter, and then twist the new filter back in the system.
- Replacing push-in filters – You have to twist off the filter cap or push the ‘eject’ button to remove push-in filters. Next, you have to install the new filter by following the arrows and by twisting the filter clockwise until you hear a snap and pop in the eject button.
- Replacing inline filters – Inline filters are the hardest to replace and it is recommended that you work with professionals if you have to cut a portion of the tubing. These are located on the back of the refrigerators and sometimes you just need to twist them like twist-in filters to remove them if you are lucky.
Sometimes, it can be a challenge to find the proper water filter for your refrigerator or even replace it properly so that it works as intended. If any of these cause you to become concerned, there is no need to worry since you can hire the help of an expert to help you with such issues. You can simply search “refrigerator repair near me” on Google to find a reputed refrigerator repair technician who can not only offer a refrigerator water filter replacement but also fix any issues that you might have with your refrigerator.